Monday, July 18, 2005

Waxing Cold

Matthew 24:12: "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."
From Vancouver, B.C.:
A 19-year-old Coquitlam man was savagely beaten by a group of teenaged girls Friday night, making it the ninth swarming by teenagers in Vancouver in the last month.

Wesley Tommy Jack was drinking in Strathcona Park with about 12 other people -- one friend whom he had met through work, and the rest friends of his friend. Between 2:30 and 3 a.m., a group of three or more girls, between the ages of 16 and 18, attacked him.

"I just remember some girl started to punch me," said Jack, who did not know any of the girls. "I told her I wasn't going to hit her back. I remember I got hit hard by a few people and blacked out. When I woke up, I had nothing left." Jack was punched and kicked repeatedly.

He says the other youths witnessed the attack but did not do anything to help.
When he regained consciousness at around 4 a.m., Jack went to his mother's house in Vancouver, where she called an ambulance for him.

In a news release issued last Thursday, Vancouver police said they were "concerned about the alarming increase in swarming incidents in recent months."
Nine incidents? Sounds like a real problem.

I was really surprised by one thing - the victim, Mr. Jack, wouldn't let himself hit a girl. Perhaps chivalry is not completely dad after all; but unfortunately such faith to a noble ideal was poorly rewarded.

1 comment:

  1. These girls have proven there is an exception to every rule...I would have opened a can of whoop a** on 'em.

    Note: I would never hit a woman out of anger, malice, or in retaliation after a deserved pimp slap. But if I'm being attacked, all chivalry goes out the window.

    ReplyDelete